Knowing which cybersecurity certifications are in the greatest demand is invaluable in planning a career in the field. I asked Global Knowledge, the world’s largest dedicated IT training company, which hosts over 3,000 unique IT courses delivered by over 1,100 subject matter experts for their help in finding out which cybersecurity certifications are the most sought after in North America this year.
Their 2019 IT Skills and Salary Report is considered the gold standard of IT skills, certification, and salary data, with many IT professionals relying on it to plan their careers. Human Resource professionals also use the report and consider it an invaluable reference to guide their recruiting efforts. Thank you Global Knowledge for providing custom research of the current state of demand for cybersecurity certifications.
Ranking The Most Sought-After Cybersecurity Certifications
Of the 63% of North American IT professionals planning to or are pursuing a certification in 2019, 23% are pursuing a cybersecurity certification according to the latest Global Knowledge IT Skills and Salary Report. The certifications reflect how quickly unique, specialized areas of knowledge are gaining in popularity.
“Traditionally, cybersecurity senior leadership-level certifications have been dominated in popularity by the administrative and Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance accreditations. This continues to be reflected in the latest data with the most popular (ISC)2 and ISACA certification bodies represented well in the list,” said Brad Puckett, Global Knowledge’s global product director for cybersecurity.
Brad used the Global Knowledge base of survey data to produce the ten most sought-after cybersecurity certifications in North America in 2019 shown below:
- (ISC)2: CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional
- ISACA: CISM – Certified Information Security Manager
- EC-Council: CEH – Certified Ethical Hacker
- ISACA: CRISC – Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control
- (ISC)2: CCSP – Certified Cloud Security Professional
- ISACA: CISA – Certified Information Systems Auditor
- (ISC)2: CISSP-ISSMP – Information Systems Security Management Professional
- (ISC)2: CISSP-ISSAP – Information Systems Security Architecture Professional
- ISACA: CGEIT – Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT
- EC-Council: CHFI – Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator